Monday, January 21, 2013

Let them eat cake...

Sugarplum Bakery - 68 rue du Cardinal Lemoine
http://thetravelingpear.com
And eat cake they did... well some of them. After a late evening dancing in the equivalent of a cave until 5 in the morning, a couple colleagues and I decided that getting together to grade our student's English midterms in each other's company, while eating cake would be a good idea. Not only did this prove difficult because of our massive hangovers, but lack of concentration due to the hilarity of the so called "essays" or "creative writing paragraphs" ended up in me grading a whole of about four exams in four hours. That's right... I averaged one midterm an hour, and seeing as I had over 200 of these works of art to get through, this gathering received a 0 for productivity. What it did receive however, was very high marks for quality of cake, and delicious teas! 

Although I didn't myself purchase any cake, mainly because they didn't accept credit cards, and turns out my pockets were lighter than usual (who am I kidding, I'm quite often scrambling for a 50 centime coin to buy a coffee), my tea was delicious, and I had a good taste of some incredible carrot cake. The shop is located just a few steps from the gorgeous rue de Mouffetard (almost a direct quote from the shop's website), and a few steps from Ernest Hemingway's apartment, with it's blue door at 74 rue Cardinal Lemoine.

Ernest Hemingway apartment : 74 rue Cardinal Lemoine
My boyfriend and I, on his short visit to Paris in November, spent ages running up and down the street looking for this door, almost ready to give up. It was nowhere to be found between 73 and 75. We almost gave up, disappointed and exhausted, when we decided to take a walk further up the street. And there it was, unimpressive, out of order. The only thing connecting it to it's inhabitant in the 1920's was Nick's Google search page and the plaque hanging just to the left.

So if you're ever searching for this blue door, check out the Sugarplum Cake shop! http://www.sugarplumcakeshop.com

No comments:

Post a Comment