Monday, January 21, 2013

Pierre Hermé or Ladurée?

I have a fellow Canadian staying with me, having found herself homeless in the dead of Parisian winter, after two fruitless months of apartment hunting. As a grand merci for sharing my roof (and my bed) with her, she showed up to my front door with a box of beautiful French pastries from the "Purple Bakery" for lack of any other defining features, and lack of original name (Boulangerie Patisserie could be a number of bakeries in any given part of the country). Beside the delicious tarte au fraises and tarte aux framboises, were three giant macaroons.

Macaroons and some tea at Ladurée 
http://www.laduree.fr/
It seems that these colorful delights are an icon for French desserts, since even my boyfriend's brother in law  sent me to Paris with a list of must-visit restaurants and cafés. At the top of this list was the one and only Ladurée. Forgetting the list temporarily, my French roommate introduced me to what he believes are truly the best macaroons in France: and it was not Ladurée. We walked down Vaugirard from our tiny apartment, to Pierre Hermé, and my life changed forever. But it wasn't the macaroons that made my mouth water and desire for more. 
My croissant at the Champs de Mars
http://www.pierreherme.com/

A rose-raspberry flavored croissant. It seems that Pierre Hermé has won in my books, but there really was no competition at all. I must admit that to me, both macaroons are of similar quality, and although my dining experience in the beautifully decorated Ladurée with its over-priced but tasty bite size burgers, PH will forever finish first after I ate that croissant. Rose flavored things are on my list of least preferred flavors, but it seems that I have been wrong about it all along. 

No comments:

Post a Comment