Tuesday, January 22, 2013

"What are you going to do with all your spare time while in Paris?"

"What are you going to do with all your spare time while in Paris?" A reoccurring question, after people found out that I work only 15 hours a week. Although I didn't have any major life changing plans when I first got here, one thing was for sure: I want to read until my brain explodes. Seems fitting as Paris has always been a literary capital, and because after six years of reading books from my university course lists, I would finally have almost unlimited amounts of metro commute time to catch up on years of reading. It would be far from true if I said I haven't read any personal selections, since I did somehow flip through sixteen novels over the course of my intended "four months of serious thesis writing time" as a means of procrastination. But finally there would be no guilt associated with reading. My to-read list is very long, it's literally impossible to play catch up since I am adding something new all the time. 

Shakespeare & Co. 37 rue de la Bucherie
One of my most favorite places to go in Paris is the Shakespeare and Co. bookshop. Yes, I realize it is located in the heart of "tourist Paris", and I realize it paints an image of yet-another-expat-in-Paris, but there is something about this place that makes me happy the second I step through the door. Sure, the entire place is filled with English books, not really going to improve my French, but that was part of the deal I made with myself: read whatever you have wanted to read this year. And reading I am! 

  • The Great Gatsby by Scott Fitzgerald
  • A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
  • Beatrice and Virginie by Yann Martel
  • Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer
  • 1984 by George Orwell
  • The Most Beautiful Walk in the World by John Baxter




No comments:

Post a Comment